By Rachel Bradley
This is a great twist for Chicken and Waffles. Baklouti Olive Oil is made with fresh African Baklouti chili peppers crushed with fresh olives at our family’s plantation in Tunisia. This spicy twist is even excellent with butter and maple syrup. Just top with southern fried chicken and you’ve got an amazing meal. To change up the recipe, just use a different Fresh Harvest Olive Oil, such as Wild Mushroom and Sage, Tuscan Herb, Garlic or Herbs de Provence.
- 2 pounds baking potatoes (preferably organic) washed and scrubbed clean
- 1 large onion, grated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table or fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Harvest Baklouti Olive Oil – or any Fresh Harvest olive oil of your choice
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Baklouti Olive Oil for greasing the waffle iron
Heat oven to 350.
Lightly oil a large baking sheet and set aside.
Coarsely grate the potatoes by hand or on the disc of a food processor, transferring to a large bowl of cold water as grated. Soak potatoes 1 to 2 minutes after last batch is added to water, then drain well in a colander.
Spread grated potatoes and onion on a kitchen towel and roll up jelly-roll style. Twist towel tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible. Transfer potato mixture to a bowl and stir in eggs, Baklouti, salt, pepper, baking powder, and flour.Heat your waffle iron to high heat.
Once hot, coat with Baklouti. Heap some latke mixture on top and spread it into an even layer. Cook until deep golden brown and then transfer to a baking sheet and place in the over to keep warm.
Makes around 8 latke waffles.
Serve as a main dish, a side or top with chicken for a wonderful twist on classic Chicken and Waffles!