By Troy Johnson
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into chunks (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 tbsp. Fresh Harvest Butternut Squash Seed Oil
- ¼ teaspoon sage, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- A pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- ½ cup coconut or almond milk
- Optional garnishes: Fresh Harvest organic toasted pumpkin seed oil and, sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds. (See photo above).
Add vegetable stock, garlic, carrot, apple, butternut squash, sage, onion, Butternut Squash seed oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg to a slow cooker. Toss to combine.
Cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high, or until the squash is completely tender and mashes easily with a fork. Stir in the coconut milk.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. (Or you can transfer the soup in two batches into a traditional blender, and puree until smooth, being very careful when working with the hot liquid.) Taste and season with additional salt, pepper and cayenne if needed.
Serve warm, with optional garnishes if desired.