By Rachel Bradley
Warm, spicy, ever so cheesy, and savory, this cornbread is delicious by itself of accompanied by a steamy bowl of soup.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Fresh Harvest Baklouti Olive Oil
- 8 ounces sharp grated Cheddar, 2 ounces reserved
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, +2 tablespoons reserved
- 2 tablespoons (1 small pepper) seeded finely diced fresh Anaheim pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 9″inch baking pan (optional: with a small amount of the Baklouti Olive Oil).
Combine the flour, cornmeal, honey, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and Baklouti Olive Oil. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix in the grated Cheddar, scallions and Anaheim peppers.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the reserved grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.