By Troy Johnson
This easy soup hits the spot for healthy, simple comfort food. For a vegan option,
you can make substitutions as needed. This soup is good made in any way!
- ¼ cup Fresh Harvest Butter Olive Oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups very finely chopped good quality, flavorful celery (about 5 large stalks, organic recommended).
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1½ cups good quality chicken or veggie broth
- 1½ cups whole milk (or use ¾ cup milk and ¾ cup cream for even tastier results. Use Almond milk for vegan option.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Add the Butter Olive Oil to a Dutch oven and cook the onions, celery and garlic over medium-high heat and until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the flour and cook for another minute. Add the chicken broth and milk/cream and stir until the mixture is smooth. Increase the heat and bring it to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add salt to taste. Cook longer if desired.
If using as a base for other recipes, this soup will keep in the fridge for at least 3-4 days.
~Note: one batch of this soup is roughly the equivalent (in quantity) of 2 cans prepared canned condensed cream of celery soup (“prepared” meaning 2 cans of added milk). Enjoy as a stand-alone soup or use in any recipe calling for prepared canned condensed cream of celery soup.