- 1 1/2 pounds free-range, boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts.
- 4 thick strips smoked bacon, diced
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thin
- 8 oz. assorted wild mushrooms, sliced (cremini mushrooms work too)
- 4″ piece of fresh thyme, stem discarded
- 1/4 cup Fresh Harvest Traditional Style Balsamic
- 2 tablespoons of Fresh Harvest Wild Mushroom-Sage olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta or wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
In a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brown the diced bacon to a crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and reserve. Pour off all but a tablespoon of the bacon fat. Season the chicken on both sides liberally with salt and pepper. Add the Fresh Harvest Wild Mushroom & Sage olive oil to the pan, place it back over the heat, and allow it to heat for a minute over medium-high heat.
Saute’ the chicken for a few minutes until golden brown on both sides, in batches if necessary. Do not over-crowd the chicken in the pan. Remove the chicken to a plate and reserve.
Add the onions to the drippings in the pan. Cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently until the onions become a soft golden brown. Add the mushrooms. Sauté for approximately three more minutes over medium high heat until the mushrooms are browned and slightly caramelized.
Add the fresh thyme leaves and Fresh Harevst Balsamic to the mushrooms and onions, de-glazing the pan by scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Cook to reduce for a minute. Add the cream and stir to combine. Add the bacon and reserved chicken. Allow the pan to come to a simmer. Cook for another two minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens.
Season generously with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Serve over pasta, rice, or cooked whole grains. Enjoy! This is comfort food at its best!