A classic recipe that will be a regular on your menu.
- ½ cup Fresh Harvest Tuscan Herb olive oil
- 1 large white onion, finely diced
- 4-6 tbsps. Fresh Harvest butter olive oil, as needed
- 2 pounds beef chuck, in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup Fresh Harvest Traditional Balsamic
- 2 cups beef stock
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into half-moon slices
- ½ pound mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- ¼ cup red wine (your choice, we like Pinot Noir)
Add Tuscan Herb olive oil to Dutch oven or kettle pot and heat to medium-high heat afterpreparing the meat. Dust beef cubes with flour and season lightly with salt and pepper in a large bowl, stirring well. Shake off excess flour and place half the cubes in pan. Cook over medium-high heat until browned, almost crusty, (4-5 minutes), flipping or stirring as needed, on all sides, then transfer to a bowl with raw diced onions. Repeat with remaining beef.
Add red wine to the empty pan and cook on medium heat, stirring, until deglazed (crust comes loose). Add beef stock, balsamic, and Dijon mustard. Whisk to blend and cook on low for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, then return meat and diced onions to pan. Lower heat, cover mostlyand simmer gently until meat is very tender, about 1 hour. Allowing some steam to escape will make the stew thicker.
After an hour add carrots and continue simmering for 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender. As stew cooks, heat the butter olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat, and sauté mushrooms until browned and tender. Single layer, 3-5 minutes. Don’t let them touch or overlap in the skillet. Add cooked mushrooms to pot and let cook them another 15 minutes on low. Stir occasionally and serve hot.
This recipe keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator. Serve left overs over rice with bread and salad.