- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 cups very warm water
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Fresh Harvest robust Ultra-Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons or 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Romano Cheese
Whisk yeast and sugar into very warm water. Allow it to sit 5-10 minutes until foamy and frothy. Combine the mixture with flour, salt and 1/4 cup EVOO in a stand mixer w/dough hook for 3-4 minutes until well mixed. Add more flour or water to get a consistency that is not too dry or too sticky – or knead by hand for five minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
Divide the dough in half, and those pieces in half again, and then in half again. Roll out each piece into a long rope. Place dough ropes on a baking sheet covered in parchment and allow to rise again for about 40 minutes to one hour.
Preheat the oven to 375. Brush the bread sticks with the remaining olive oil, sprinkle with granulated garlic and Romano cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Upon removing the bread sticks, brush each one more time with olive oil. Serve warm.