This low-carb version of the classic Shepherd’s Pie recipe replaces mashed potatoes with cauliflower. (This can be a paleo, grain-free and dairy-free alternative)
- 1 med/large cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¼ cup Fresh Harvest Tuscan Herb olive oil
- ¼ cup Fresh Harvest garlic olive oil
- ¼ cup Fresh Harvest Traditional or Fig balsamic
- 1-pound organic ground beef, buffalo or lamb
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2-12 oz bags (non-GMO) frozen mixed veggies (carrots, corn, peas, green beans and lima beans)
- 6 oz (1 pack) shredded Swiss cheese (omit for Paleo)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large casserole dish with your favorite Fresh Harvest olive oil and set aside.
- In a large pot, steam or boil cauliflower until very tender. Mash with the ¼ cup garlic olive oil until creamy and smooth. We like using a stick blender as it makes fast work of this job. Stir in shredded Swiss cheese in mash, if using, and stir well.
- Brown the ground meat and chop until fine. Drain fat. Add onion, canned tomatoes (drained), ¼ cup Fresh Harvest balsamic, and ¼ cup Fresh Harvest Tuscan Herb olive oil, stir well and cook until onions are translucent. Drain any excess liquid at this point. Reduce heat to med and add frozen veggie mix. Cook 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most liquid is reduced.
- Ladle the meat/veggie mix into the pan and spread evenly. Carefully spoon and spread the mashed cauliflower over the top like icing on a cake.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Keeps well in the fridge too!