- 1-28 oz can Van Camp’s Pork and Beans
- 1 green bell pepper – minced
- 1 small, white onion – minced
- ½ cup bacon bits (or make your own)
- ¼ cup Fresh Harvest Smoked Chaabani or Cayenne Chili olive oil
- ¼ cup Fresh Harvest Maple Balsamic
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup local honey
Using a large, non-stick or cast iron skillet sauté onion and bell pepper in the Smoked Chaabani olive oil for 5-10 minutes until translucent and tender. Stir frequently.
Add beans, honey, brown sugar, bacon bits and balsamic. Bring to a slow boil on medium heat, then reduce to low.
Cook over low heat, stirring frequently. Cook until liquid is reduced, and beans have a thick consistency, usually around 10-15 minutes or longer.
(OPTIONAL FUN) Garnish with chopped watercress, poke sprouts, dandelion greens or parsley, or anything else the revenuers won’t take! If you don’t know what a baldknobber is, check with the Google. Rich Ozark history.
These beans keep well in the refrigerator and are even better the next day.