Inspired by Chef Kathy Gunst/Here & Now, NPR – This simple marinade is made by whirling cilantro, mint, lemon juice, olive oil and a whole lot of garlic in a blender and rubbing it on top of the chicken. If you have an aversion to cilantro feel free to substitute parsley. Marinade chicken for 1 to 24 hours.
- 3 pounds chicken, breasts, legs, thighs and wings
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 scallions, white and green section chopped
- 1/3 cup Fresh Harvest olive oil (your choice)
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- Salt and pepper
Tip – Be sure to clean and grease the grates with grapeseed oil prior to cooking to avoid sticking. Use a spatula instead of tongs to turn the chicken if needed.
- Make the marinade: In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add all the ingredients and whirl until you have a thick, chunky marinade. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed.
- Place the chicken in a non-porous bowl and smear the marinade on top, tossing it so the marinade coats all sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
- Light a charcoal or gas grill to around 400 degrees.
- Grill the chicken, covered, for 10-12 minutes per side, depending on the size of the chicken. As the chicken cooks brush on any marinade still in the bowl. Cook until desired wellness. Serve hot or room temperature with lemon wedges.
A great side dish is our Balsamic Broccoli Salad.