This recipe was shared with us by one of our dear clients, Dr. Gregg Coker. It is colorful, healthy, nutritious and delicious! Warning: this salad is addictive!
- 1 cup – Quinoa (Quinoa comes in 3 colors; neutral, red and black. (I like to combine them it makes for a prettier salad.)
- 1 Tablespoon – butter
- 2 cups – Chicken Broth
- 1 – Yellow Bell Pepper (chopped fine)
- 1 – Orange Bell Pepper (chopped fine)
- 1 – Red Bell Pepper (chopped fine)
- ¼ small – Red Onion (chopped fine)
- 3 – fresh corn of the cobs (cut corn off cob uncooked. Try to find the sweet, tender corn. If out of season then you will have to resort to canned or frozen.
- 1 Can – Black Beans (drained & rinsed)
- ¼ Cup – Fresh Cilantro (chopped fine)
- 2 small cartons of orange & red cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 2 Tablespoons – Garlic (I like roasted garlic but any will do)
- 1 Cup – Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- ¼ Cup – Lime (or less)
- ¼ Cup – Lemon (or less)
- 2 Tablespoons – Fresh Harvest Champagne Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup – mild or medium Fresh Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Put Quinoa in a strainer and rinse thoroughly and put in sauce pan with butter. Lightly roast for about 3 minutes or until all the water has evaporated. Add chicken broth and slow boil like rice but uncovered until all the broth is absorbed by quinoa (about 10 minutes) remove, cool and refrigerate while prepping remainder of salad.
Put all other ingredients in salad bowl, stir in quinoa, then taste, modify to your liking with salt, pepper, lime, lemon and oil (most of the time this is about right but everyone has different tastes.)
Chill the salad for about 30 minutes and enjoy.