FOR THE CAKE:
- ¾ cup Fresh Harvest MILD ultra-premium extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 cup/225 grams packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temp)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¾ cups/225 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ packed cups peeled and grated carrots (about 6 ounces/165 grams, from 3 medium carrots)
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Harvest Sicilian Lemon Balsamic
- 1 cup/100 grams confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon very finely grated carrot (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and brush some olive oil into a 9×5 loaf pan to prevent cake from sticking. (If using a convection oven, reduce heat to 325 degrees)
- Using a stand mixer (or hand-held whisk), mix together light brown sugar and eggs in a large bowl. Whisk vigorously (medium speed) until pale in color, about 2 minutes. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking at medium speed, another 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all remaining dry ingredients (except carrots) until well combined and smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and whisk together until well blended. Batter will be very thick.
- Fold in the grated carrots until well mixed.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any big air bubbles.
- Bake the cake until golden and puffed and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, gently remove cake from pan and set on a rack over a baking sheet to cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, make the glaze: Add the confectioners’ sugar and finely grated carrot (if using) to the bowl with the balsamic. Whisk vigorously until smooth. Add a touch more balsamic if needed to make a thick but pourable glaze. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and let it set for a few minutes before slicing.