A blend of whole grain and white flours, plus our mild and fruity
extra-virgin olive oil make this cake healthier and tastier!
- 2 cups VERY ripe bananas, about 3-4 medium bananas
- 1/2 cup Fresh Harvest MILD and FRUITY extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (57g) chopped walnuts, toasted if desired (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the center position. Lightly grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with olive oil; if your pan is glass or stoneware, reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a large bowl (with a hand mixer) or stand mixer, mix together very ripe bananas, Fresh Harvest mild extra virgin olive oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla at medium speed until creamy and well blended.
- Whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts in a separate bowl and fold into the banana mixture. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and mix again to thoroughly combine the ingredients. Don’t overmix.
- Bake the bread for about 60 to 70 minutes, until the bread feels set on the top, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs (but no wet batter).
- Remove the bread from the oven. Cool it in the pan for 15 minutes, then loosen the edges, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely.
- Store leftover bread, tightly wrapped, at room temperature for several days. Freeze for longer storage.