By Susan Douglass, Fresh Harvest Tasting Guide
Lower fat. Lower sugar. Simply Delicious! Use different balsamic for different flavors! This recipe uses our EVOO in an amazing way!
For the pastry:
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 tbs caster (fine) sugar
- 1/2 cups chilled butter, diced into small cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Form a depression in the center of the mixture, then place the diced butter and egg yolk in the middle. One’s hands work best to work the flour into the diced butter and egg yolk. Press into the sides of a 12 inch wide x 2.5 – 3 inch high pan.
For the filling:
Place a small pan of water in the bottom of the oven & preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 26 oz. (3.25 packages) Neufchatel cheese (Cream cheese may be substituted)
- Scant 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup Fresh Harvest key lime balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Harvest mild EVOO
- Three eggs, plus the one egg white left from making the pastry
- Three-quarters of a teaspoon vanilla
- Mounded eighth of a cup of flour
Bring the Neufchatel or cream cheese to room temperature. Blend in sugar until creamy, and continue to add the rest of the ingredients.
Pour mixture into pastry. Cook for 50 minutes, then leave cheesecake in the oven for at least 2 hours without opening. This must be refrigerated at least 6 hours before serving, but is worth the wait!
Garnish with sliced almonds, slivers of lime, lime zest, etc.