NEW AND IMPROVED RECIPE! This low-carb version of the classic Shepherd’s Pie recipe replaces mashed potatoes with cauliflower. (This can also be paleo or dairy-free)
- 1 med/large cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¼ cup Fresh Harvest Tuscan Herb olive oil
- ¼ cup Fresh Harvest garlic olive oil
- 2 tbsp Fresh Harvest Traditional or Fig balsamic
- 1-pound organic ground beef, buffalo or lamb
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 14.5oz can Petite Diced Tomatoes (drained well)
- 2-12 oz bags (non-GMO) frozen mixed veggies (carrots, corn, peas, green beans and lima beans)
- 6 oz (1 pack) shredded Swiss cheese (omit for Paleo)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, steam or boil cauliflower until very tender. Mash with the ¼ cup garlic olive oil and cream (optional) until creamy. Stick blenders will make fast work of this job. Fold in shredded Swiss cheese in mash, if using, and stir well.
- Brown the ground meat (3-5 minutes) and chop until fine. Drain all fat. Add onion and cook (med high heat) 2-3 minutes until onions are soft. Add tomatoes, balsamic, pepper flakes and Tuscan Herb olive oil, stir well and cook until onions are translucent. Reduce heat to med and add frozen veggie mix. Cook 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most liquid is reduced.
- Ladle the meat/veggie mix into the pan and spread evenly. Carefully spoon and spread the mashed cauliflower over the top like icing on a cake. Be sure to make 4-5 steam slits in the top of the pie.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Keeps well in the fridge too!