Oven Roasted Tomatoes:
- 2 tbs. Fresh Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Medium/Robust Intensity)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- A sprig of fresh marjoram or oregano (optional)
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound meaty, tomatoes containing less water, such as Roma Tomatoes
Whole Wheat Extra Virgin Olive Oil Pastry Crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea
- 3/4 cup Fresh Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Medium Intensity)
- 1/2 cup warm water
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and flaxseed meal. Add the olive oil and water and mix quickly with a fork until it comes together in a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
On a lightly floured board or parchment-covered surface, roll out the dough into a 1/4-inch-thick round. Gently press into a 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Cover the tart with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Prick all over with the tines of a fork.
Bake crust in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool before filling.
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 1 /12 cups oven roasted tomatoes, drained thoroughly
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, torn or chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Pecorino Romano
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 10″ Olive Oil Pastry Crust recipe above
Preheat the oven to 400. Saute the shallots until until lightly browned. Add the garlic and saute another minute. Combine the shallots, garlic, and basil with the beaten eggs. Season the egg mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle 1 cup of Fontina cheese over the bottom of the crust. Arrange the oven roasted tomatoes over the cheese. Add the remaining cheese, including Romano over the tomatoes. Pour the egg shallot mixture over the top. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the filling is set, slightly puffed and golden brown. Enjoy warm, or allow to cool to room temperature.
This can be made a day in advance or may be frozen and re-warmed.