This recipe was shared with us by one of our dear clients, Dr. Gregg Coker. It is colorful, healthy, nutritious and delicious! Warning: this salad is addictive!
- 1 cup – Quinoa (Quinoa comes in 3 colors; neutral, red and black. (I like to combine them it makes for a prettier salad.)
- 1 Tablespoon – butter
- 2 cups – Chicken Broth
- 1 – Yellow Bell Pepper (chopped fine)
- 1 – Orange Bell Pepper (chopped fine)
- 1 – Red Bell Pepper (chopped fine)
- ¼ small – Red Onion (chopped fine)
- 3 – fresh corn of the cobs (cut corn off cob uncooked. Try to find the sweet, tender corn. If out of season then you will have to resort to canned or frozen.
- 1 Can – Black Beans (drained & rinsed)
- ¼ Cup – Fresh Cilantro (chopped fine)
- 2 small cartons of orange & red cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 2 Tablespoons – Garlic (I like roasted garlic but any will do)
- 1 Cup – Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- ¼ Cup – Lime (or less)
- ¼ Cup – Lemon (or less)
- 2 Tablespoons – Fresh Harvest Champagne Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup – mild or medium Fresh Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Put Quinoa in a strainer and rinse thoroughly and put in sauce pan with butter. Lightly roast for about 3 minutes or until all the water has evaporated. Add chicken broth and slow boil like rice but uncovered until all the broth is absorbed by quinoa (about 10 minutes) remove, cool and refrigerate while prepping remainder of salad.
Put all other ingredients in salad bowl, stir in quinoa, then taste, modify to your liking with salt, pepper, lime, lemon and oil (most of the time this is about right but everyone has different tastes.)
Chill the salad for about 30 minutes and enjoy.
Risotto is one of our favorite dishes and there are 1001+ ways to prepare it using Fresh Harvest products. Risotto is basically an Italian dish of Arborio rice cooked in stock with other ingredients such as vegetables and/or meat.
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons Fresh Harvest butter olive oil or garlic olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lightly packed cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In nonstick skillet on medium heat add 2 tablespoons Fresh Harvest Butter or Garlic olive oil. Add the Asparagus and cook until crisp tender, about 5-7 minutes. Stir frequently and use a lid if needed. Cool.
Bring the chicken broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Heat 2 tablespoons Fresh Harvest Butter or Garlic olive oil in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over low heat and cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring constantly, until absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 3/4 cup of the hot broth, the salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper and simmer, stirring constantly, until broth is absorbed. Continue simmering and adding hot broth, about 3/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the broth to be absorbed before adding more, until rice is almost tender and creamy-looking, about 18 minutes.
Stir very frequently.
Add the spinach and peas and cook until the spinach is wilted. Add the asparagus and cook just until the vegetables are hot. Stir in the Parmesan and more broth if the risotto seems too thick.