By Troy Johnson
This recipe uses a crock pot to cook the pork shoulder, but you can also smoke it. Slow cooking is key for the meat to be ‘pull able’ and tender.
- A nice 2 ½ lb boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- ¾ cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 medium)
- 1 cup of your favorite local beer (med or dark is best)
- ¼ cup liquid smoke (Hickory or Mesquite)
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika (or more if you like!)
- ½ to 1 cup of Troy’s balsamic BBQ Sauce (click here for recipe)
- Coleslaw or pickles (from the deli or make your own)
- 20 cocktail size Hamburger Buns (Slider rolls)
Trim any excess fat from meat. Put onions and peppers in bottom of crock pot. Place pork shoulder on top. Mix beer and Liquid Smoke and pour over meat. Top with rosemary, salt, pepper and the smoked paprika. Cook in your slow cooker on LOW setting for 9-10 hours. Transfer meat to cutting board, pull pork into shreds using fork and discard any fat, juices and the cooked onion and pepper. Return shredded pork to crock pot and cover with the Balsamic BBQ sauce. Stir. Cook on low for 1 hour.
To serve, spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms. Top with coleslaw or pickles (optional) and bun top. Enjoy!