Easy and tasty recipe for amazing Focaccia bread!
By Chef Sheila Reese
- 1 ½ c. warm water…not above 110°
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast (instant or active dry work)
- 4 Tablespoons Fresh Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus additional for greasing skillet
- 4 c. all purpose flour plus additional ½ cup for board, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Fresh Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian herb blend or 2 teaspoons minced fresh herbs of choice, like Thyme or Rosemary
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (or Kosher salt)
In a large mixing bowl (I recommend a stand mixer), place water and sugar then sprinkle yeast over the water and whisk lightly to combine. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
With mixer on low speed (using paddle attachment) add 2 cups of flour and salt. Mix until combined. Add Olive Oil. Add remaining flour and continue to mix on low until the dough begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
Place a large bowl of very hot water on counter. Place a cooling rack over the bowl for your proofing station. Grease the skillet generously with Olive Oil.
Place dough on a lightly floured surface and fold the dough a few times until it feels smooth and shape into a ball. Roll and press the dough to fit skillet, stretching up the skillet sides. Place skillet containing dough on the rack over the hot water and cover with a dish cloth. Allow to rest for 25-30 minutes.
Preheat oven 425°.
After rising 25 minutes, use index finger and make dimples in the dough. Sprinkle dry herbs or fresh herbs over the dough. Pour the ¼ c. of Olive Oil over the dented dough. Place the dough in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and add remaining ¼ cup of Olive Oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
Allow to rest 5 minutes before cutting.